Wednesday, May 18, 2011

up the hill

For the last 17 years I’ve been working the same old job, doing the same old thing. The patterns formed in my life over these years "in the wilderness" have become so ingrained they can hardly be called habits. I’ve become very comfortable in my daily routine.... so comfortable, it’s hard to even think about getting out of it.

So one of the things I’ve been doing the last couple months to intentionally break out of my rut is to ride a bike to work. Not every day, just the nice ones. About two times a week I jump on the bike and ride it almost two miles to work After the first couple of times I did it, I THOUGHT I WAS GOING TO DIE!!! When I was 20, I ran two miles in 12 minutes flat, it took me 13 minutes on the bike! But, after lots of encouragement from friends and family, I’ve kept it up. I can now ride to work in about 7 - 8 minutes.

My biggest complaint about biking is they seem to make the bicycle seats much much smaller that I remember. I do, however, feel so much better than I did just a couple months ago, so, I’ve decided to get one of those fancy new biking suits...

All kidding aside, in order to dump old bad habits, it’s good to replace them with healthy new habits. Like instead of eating donuts for breakfast eat some fruit. Or instead of watching tv after dinner go for a walk.

When we move to Miami to start a church for people that don’t like church, we’re going to encourage good spiritual habits to replace old bad habits.

That’s one thing I love about Verve, which is a church for people that don’t like church, that was started in Las Vegas about a year ago. Vince Antonucci, the lead pastor at Verve, started a bible reading plan where they are going through the New Testament and Psalms and Proverbs in the course of a year. One small section a day. It's not to overwhelming and they are all doing it  together.....kinda like workout buddies or running partners.

Do you think you need some good habits in your life? If you’re not currently reading the bible daily, you should join us and check this reading plan out.

No comments:

Post a Comment