Monday, November 28, 2011

smashed



I was changing a tire on Friday and using the tire iron to take off a lug nut when suddenly it broke free as I had all my weight behind it. It slammed down on the ground and managed to dislocate my thumb. I thought for sure it was broken. I grabbed my thumb and squeezed it really tight and heard (and felt) a popping sound. I finished changing the tire and went inside where I washed my hands, took some Ibuprofen and grabbed the ice pack.


My thumb swelled and bruised terribly and was very sore. The only thing I could think about was "how am I going to move people with a useless and messed up thumb?"  I figured I'd give it my best shot and try to ignore it and do the best I can, knowing I wouldn't be 100%. It's amazing how important something as small as a thumb is. 


As I help people in Miami move from one condo to another, they often ask why we moved here. Of course I take it as a golden opportunity to tell them we're here because God told us to move and it starts the conversation that gets people thinking about God in a non threatening way. The responses vary from "Oh.....I see", as their personal freak-o-meter goes crazy, to "WOW! God is amazing!" All the responses have a common component, "surprise". 


I think what surprises them is that instead of running away from the poor and the homeless, like normal people, we're running to them. The way I see it, is that the people rejected by society are just injured and bruised members of God's body. Sure, we can ignore them and operate without them, but, we won't be 100%. It's amazing how important something as small as a lonely, broken, homeless person is to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment