Wednesday, June 1, 2011

brain bleed


One of "those songs" is stuck in my head. You know the kind, one that's so simple and makes so little sense that you can't believe you're thinking about it, but, the tune is catchy and repetitive and you just can't help yourself from singing, humming and whistling it. You have no defenses against a song like that. It's a cheap trick really, in fact, the song in my head is by Cheap Trick, it goes like this:

I want you to want me.
I need you to need me.
I'd love you to love me.
I'm beggin' you to beg me.

Didn't I, didn't I, didn't I see you cryin'?
Oh, didn't I, didn't I, didn't I see you cryin'?
Feelin' all alone without a friend, I know you feel like dyin'
Didn't I, didn't I, didn't I see you cryin'?

That's pretty much all there is to it, but, after it's ran through my head for the last 45 min. I got to thinking that it sounds a lot like the cry of a generation of people that have grown up without God. The worlds desire is to be wanted and needed and loved. It's the cry of unrealized passions in their hearts that can only be truly satisfied by a God that wants them and needs them and loves them. A God they don't even know exists. One they wont know exists unless someone tells them and maybe even more importantly shows them.

Paul, who wrote a lot of the new testament, was in Athens, Greece. He met with the city leaders and told them how he observed they were a very religious people (they pretty much worshiped anything and everything). He said that he even noticed an alter in town that had an inscription "To the unknown God". That it was this God he wanted to tell them about. After telling them his story, some believed and some wanted to hear more.

We all have a story, and some of us have a God story. A story of how we became followers of Jesus. It's this story of how Jesus wants us and needs us and loves us ........ and died for us, that our friends and neighbors and maybe even strangers should hear. Who knows, by you telling your story, some might believe and some may want to hear more. So, who can you tell your story to today?


No comments:

Post a Comment