Monday, January 30, 2012

culture gap

It had been a couple of months since my last haircut and I was starting look a little straggly. When I work, moving furniture for people, I sweat horribly and my mop of hair was not helping. I finally had enough and desperately wanted and needed a change. So, with no idea of which barber or hair stylist to go to, I went with the natural choice, the first place I could find..... Supercuts.


I am now the proud owner of one of the worst haircuts I've ever had. Yep, it's gonna be a  bad hair month. Apparently all of my spanish lessons have not yet paid off, because the non-english speaking stylist didn't really care if "the girl is riding a horse" or "the boy is playing with a ball".  Even in english, I don't know what the difference of a no. 2 and a no. 3 comb is, so trying to have a conversation in a different language about it was futile, we just weren't connecting.


It seems that whenever we get a tunnel vision like focus on our own lives and what we have to accomplish, it's harder to connect with both God and others. We end up missing the important things going on around us and cannot communicate effectively. When we get so caught up in what we need right here and right now, we often don't take the time to listen. I'm sure that if I had taken the time to pray about finding a great place to get my hair cut, that God would have not only provided it, but, we would have made another contact.


So, lesson learned - Pray and listen more and rush to get something done less.

No comments:

Post a Comment