Monday, October 10, 2011

offensive line

We have 4 boys and everyone one of them has grown up a football fan. Three out of four love watching the Kansas City Chiefs win however one of the four, who will remain anonymous (Sam) has been poisoned by his mother and for some inconceivable reason, likes the Denver Broncos. Of course the Chiefs and the Broncos are in the same division, so they are not only great rivals on the field, it can get pretty heated in the house as well. Especially since they play each other twice a year.

One of the things I love about football is that I've been able to coach youth football for several years. All the boys have played since they were little so it was a no brainer for me to get out on the field and help out. I started off as a live tackle dummie, which is a good asst. coach job (as long as the kids are small). Through the years I advanced and the last several years I've been the head coach.

In teaching the fundamentals, there are a couple things, that I've found, that take years to get through a kids head.

1. Staying with your block- On offense, when the ball is snapped each kid has an opposing man that he has to take out of play. It's easier for the linemen, because they are usually right in front of you. The backs can have a harder time because their man can be farther away and more elusive. The idea is to make sure your man does not tackle the ball carrier or intercept a pass. What's hard about this is getting a kid to not only hit their man, but, to keep hitting and pushing and shoving their man until the play is over. For the most part, the young offensive line will hit their man once, then stand up and watch their team try to run the ball. What happens is after the initial hit, the defensive player runs through the line and sacks the quarterback, resulting in a loss of yards.

2. No talking in the huddle- What can I say? Have you ever tried to herd cats? In the early years the coach gets to be out on the field with the team and when it's time to huddle, you get a million suggestions all at once. They are all very excited and they all have the perfect play which always includes them getting the ball as quarterback, hand off or a deep hail Mary pass. They all want to be coach, quarterback and superstar all at the same time.

When I think about it, sometimes I feel like I'm a kid playing football. I'm so interested in what's going on around me, that I forget to do my part which results in a loss of yards. Then, when we go get instructions, I always have the big ideas and want to do something that does not fit into my job description. However, the nice thing is I'm on the team and I have other teammates that are there to help. We can encourage each other and help each other and when we need to come up with a plan, we huddle up and take instructions from the coach up stairs.

This weekend, we're huddling up. We are holding a 48 hour prayer event where the team (you and us) are getting instruction from God. I would really appreciate it if you participated with us and picked 30 minutes or even an hour to pray for Operation Miami. We are starting at 6pm (Eastern) on Friday and praying until 6pm on Sunday. There are already people from all over the Country that have signed up. If you are willing to help, please email ellayna.skondin@gmail.com the time that you would like to pray and she will put you on the schedule.

Okay, bring it in! On 3 team.
1......2.....3....."TEAM!"

2 comments:

  1. "Poisoned" I for one think that Sam is the only one that is poised to hear the truth of who the real team is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wendy, eh.hemm...I mean Dear Anonymous, the truth is the chiefs are not living in denial. They know they are struggling and instead of leaving the best players on the bench, they are all attemping to play the best ball they can. However the Broncos have left Tim Tebow on the bench for a year and a half and may leave him there longer because they believe Orton is the best pick when clearly he is not.

    ReplyDelete