Tuesday, October 18, 2011

masses

Joel and I have been talking and he has said, on more than one occasion, "I've been amazed at the number of people in the Miami metro area. The sheer numbers are just overwhelming. Everywhere you go, there are people, walking, sitting, running, driving, sleeping....you just can't escape them, they are everywhere!"

For the past couple of weeks, I've been posting adds on craigslist to help people move with my giant sized church van. I've found it's a great way to get out and meet people that are going through transitions and it puts a little money in my pocket. Last night I got a desperate call from a guy that wanted my help. He wanted me to come over and help him move a king size mattress up the stairs of his condo. When I got there, I realized it wasn't from a truck to an upper level unit, but, from the living room down stairs to the hallway upstairs. It took about 3 minutes to get it moved. He paid me and I left.

It makes me wonder how a person can be so lonely in such a crowded place. How is it that he had to have me drive 24 miles to his condo to help him lift a mattress upstairs? He lived in the center of a gated condominium community, with hundreds of units, yet he could not get the help of one neighbor......

It appears we have our work cut out for us.....not moving people kind of work. Well, maybe moving people kind of work, but, not their stuff.....their hearts. Vince Antonucci wrote a book called "Guerrilla Lovers" which is a call to action to ambush unsuspecting people with God's love by doing random (but planned) acts of kindness, over and over again. To the point that it becomes habitual and automatic in our lives. Then, as in Guerrilla warfare, a small out numbered force can do real damage to the enemy. In other words, little 'ol you and me can make a huge difference in peoples lives, just by being there waiting for the right opportunity to love them.

So really, the work to move peoples hearts starts with OUR hearts! It starts with MY heart and it starts with YOUR heart! If our hearts don't move, then the worlds hearts won't move. Hoping to attract people to the love of God is not going to be real affective without action. Please pray that God will give us many amazing opportunities to love people in real and practical ways and in doing so, moving their hearts closer to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment