Monday, September 19, 2011

solid

I got up early this morning, ready to work, but, before the work starts, I need time to read and pray. So, I went out to the beach and watched the sunrise. As I was walking in the sand my calf muscles started to get a little sore, as they are worked a little harder in uneven and soft ground. I decided to walk up closer to the sea wall and came across a utility cover which butted up against the wall. I sat down on the wall with my feet on the solid cover and rested. It reminded me of the old hymn words

 "On Christ the solid rock I stand, all other ground is sinking sand"

Which fit perfectly with the Verve daily reading in Hebrews 12 as the author described how God is shaking everything to remove that which can be removed so all that is left is that which cannot be shaken.

In other words, the things that SEEM to be important can quickly fade as the things that ARE really important remain.

I ended up finding a bench that faces the sea. The picture above is the view from that bench. It appears to be a postcard perfect picture,  right? However, you'll notice that on the beach between the two palm trees is a homeless couple that spent the night on the beach. I talked to them a little and found out they just rolled into town last night. They were from Pennsylvania and lost their home to the recent flooding. They figured if they were going to be homeless, they might as well be homeless in paradise. The need is real and is more important than the picture perfect scene we try to surround ourselves in.

If you don't currently read and pray daily, I highly recommend it. It will shake you up and leave only those things that cannot be shaken.

On Christ the solid rock I stand....

1 comment:

  1. Wow Jeff. What your saying is so true, but at the same time beautiful as well. It describes what we do have in Christ, even though we are still residing in this world. Love you guys, Grandma

    ReplyDelete