Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Wilderness

Blog Post by Wendy Kauffman 
   
“This is what the Lord says: “The people who survive the sword will find favor in the wilderness; I will come to give rest to Israel.” The Lord appeared to us in the past, saying: “I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with unfailing kindness. I will build you up again. 
~ Jeremiah 31:2-4

Fyodor Dostoyevsky once said "Its not as a child that I believe and confess Jesus Christ. My hosanna is born out of a furnace of doubt."


I am a bit of a pessimist. I don't really like this about myself. I remembered this quote by Dostoyevsky after reading this scripture because I know for myself, sometimes my faith is born out of seeing God's faithfulness to me. I know in my heart that God loves me, wants to have a relationship with me, but I do find myself doubting sometimes.

Living in Miami can be hard. On a day in and day out basis there is so much suffering and with suffering comes a great deal of doubt. There are so many people who struggle in believing there is a God and even more struggle with the idea that if there really is a God, why would he love me and care about me and what I have gone through and where I have been.


I was reading this scripture in Jeremiah last night and it hit me. "The people who survive the sword will find favor in the wilderness." How great is that! God's love for us is everlasting and unfailing and just when we think we can't take one more stab he comes along and gives us rest. I don't know about you but I find great comfort in knowing that God sees all of this and says to us, "I will build you up again and again." 

I hope today that no matter what you are going through, you know God sees it! He does care and He will build you up again! 

As we reach out into the suffering we see in our city please pray that we can be the light that proclaims to those people that God can bring rest in the wilderness.


No comments:

Post a Comment