Thursday, March 8, 2012

Some 200 Feet Below

Blog Post by Wendy Kauffman

 I started back to my Health Screenings this week. I love working the health clinics. This week, I got to drive to Boynton Beach, which is almost an hour from where we live. On my way back from the clinic, driving on I-95, I hit a major traffic situation. We sat on the freeway for 30 minutes at a complete standstill when I finally made it to my I-595 interchange, no sooner had I taken the exit, when all of the sudden out of no where this car lands in the middle of the freeway. We had no idea where he came from or how he ended up right in the middle of the road, but his car was totaled and he had knocked some pretty large rocks out of the walls of the intersection. I immediately stopped along with 3 other cars to see what we could do to help. We found the man unconscious, but with a pulse. We knew better than to move him and help came very fast. I honestly thought this young man was gone. From the looks of his car to the damage he did to the road around him, I thought there was no way he would make it out of that alive. The policeman who showed immediately after us, told us to go ahead and move on as we would be in the way of emergency vehicles. So I went to my next job still very concerned and had even mentioned the accident to Jeff over dinner that night saying how I was certain the young man was dead.

During the 11 o'clock news I was amazed to see his face on the screen. Obviously most accidents are not reported on the news in a large area like Miami, but this one was different. This young man had driven his car through a barrier from I-95, dropping over 200 feet to the highway below where I was exiting. All he could say was "It was miracle." He just thought for sure he was gone. He thought as soon as his car went air born it was over. His life flashed before his eyes.

It was a miracle! I seen it with my own eyes. In my mind there was no way that after what I saw this man could be alive.  He was written off in my mind.

Then today, as I was cleaning, God reminded me of something very important. Never write anyone off. NO MATTER what the situation looks like, no matter how bleak, no matter how devastating it may seem to us, there is always hope of survival.

I know we have said it many times since coming to Miami. We know God has brought us here to bring hope to so many who maybe have thought for the last time, there is no hope, that this is the end of the road. God reminded me as I watching that video on the news with my kids, Hope is not lost and that life in all of it's frailty can bring some big surprises. That even though someone may be beat up, or bruised or maybe if there seems to be no life left in them at all, NEVER GIVE UP! You never know, you might be about to witness the miracle of life when and where you least expect it.

No comments:

Post a Comment