Sunday, December 25, 2011

strike back

Blog post by Wendy Kauffman


Merry Christmas! Although we moved to Miami in September we are in Missouri to spend Christmas with our family and to prepare for the wedding of our son. Things are busy so we have not had much time to dwell on what we are missing about being in Miami. We have had a great time seeing family and friends.

For some strange reason, all day long, I have been thinking about lyrics from a song that is pretty old. I think it is one of my favorite phrases to quote, "kick the darkness til it bleeds daylight." 


I don't know much about the song so I decided to research it some. The song is actually titled "Lovers in a dangerous time," written by Bruce Cockburn. It was released during the cold war. I don't know all the lyrics but that line in the lyric is one of my favorite.

I feel like that is what we are called to do. Kick the darkness til it bleeds daylight, but much like the songs title indicates, it can be dangerous.

Then I thought, that is what happened on that day over 2,000 years ago when that little baby was born. The first kick at darkness. A lowly infant child entered, bringing love in very dangerous times.

Today as we celebrate the gift of life and love that came that Christmas day, I pray that we all remember that it was in his lowly sacrifice that we can "kick the darkness til it bleeds daylight" and that we remember to love even in these dangerous times.

No comments:

Post a Comment